Italy is a nation bursting with historic medieval towns, and Bologna is one of the most elegant of them all. Though famous for its food - bolognese sauce was first made in the city many centuries ago - Bologna is not just a city for the gourmet. It's also home to Europe's oldest university, which was founded in 1088. Bologna is nicknamed 'La Rossa' ('The Red One') due to the rows of stately terracotta buildings that make up much of the city, each lined with endless porticoes.
The best way to experience all that Bologna has to offer is to hire a vehicle from its airport - Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport, to give it its full, official title. When you book with DriveNow, you'll be getting the cheapest possible deal, so let's take a closer look at our offerings.
The seventh-busiest airport in Italy, flights arrive and depart Bologna Airport from all around Europe, Africa and the Middle East. It's situated around 10 kilometres northwest of the city, so the drive from the airport to your destination is quick and easy. In 2015, the airport welcomed a record 7 million passengers through its doors (both arriving and departing), and the facility is home to 49 different carriers.
Once you land, head towards the ground floor terminal - it's here that you'll find the car hire companies. Europcar, Hertz, Enterprise, SIXT, Alamo and Avis are just a few of the well-respected names you'll recognise at Bologna Airport, and when you book with DriveNow, you'll be getting the best value for your money. As soon as you're behind the wheel, head along the E45 before turning off onto Via Cristoforo Colombo - this will take you directly into the city centre.
Why use DriveNow to rent a car at Bologna Airport?
- Price - DriveNow's search tool scours the web for best possible car hire deals, so when you click with us, you know you're getting great value for money
- Free Service - Our booking service is totally free so there’s no need to worry about booking fees or hidden charges
- Quick, convenient and simple - When you use DriveNow, you avoid the tiring grind of slogging your way through several car hire websites in an effort to find the lowest prices. Because we bring all the best prices to one screen in just a couple of clicks, the job of finding great value car hire in Bologna can be done and dusted in a matter of minutes
- Experience - Since 2003, DriveNow has been seeking out the best value car hire deals for our customers in destinations all around the world
- Australian - We are 100% Australian owned and operated and do not offshore our services – should you need assistance you can be confident in speaking with our Australian Reservations team
What to do in Bologna
A visit to Bologna would not be complete without wandering through the Piazza Maggiore. The square is home to some of Bologna's oldest buildings, such as the Palazzo Re Enzo, and the walls were built in such a way that it's possible to talk to people standing on the other side of the piazza - the echo will carry right across!
As you drive around Bologna, you can't fail to miss the two tall towers that dominate the skyline - the tower of Asinelli and the tower of Garisenda. The former is the taller of the two, and folklore tells us that a poor man once fell in love with the daughter of the square's governor. The high-ranking official agreed to give his daughter's hand on one condition - that the poor man built the tallest tower in Bologna as a testament to his devotion. The Asinelli Tower was the happy result.
It's well worth your time checking out the latest DriveNow prices for car hire in Bologna - a few clicks is all it takes!