Car Hire in Portugal
Find the best rates on Portuguese Car rental all under one roof.
Portugal is one of the most fascinating countries in Europe. Located west of Spain, this tiny country is unique for its language, remote location, mild weather and historic cities. Portugal has long held a relationship with Brazil, giving the country an international influence that’s striking, considering its small size.
Portugal’s largest city is Lisbon, small in world terms at only around 500,000 people. Other communities in the country include Porto, Amadora, Setubal and Braga. Whether you want to relax near the ocean, tour one of these urban municipalities, or visit the many ancient castles and historic structures the country has to offer, you can get there with a Portuguese rental car.
Why consult DriveNow when hiring a car in Portugal?
- Price - Our comparison tool allows you to view the rates of top rental companies - such as Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and SIXT - side by side.
- Simplicity - With DriveNow, it's easy to compare rates and secure an affordable rental vehicle.
- Free Service - No hidden fees! We don't charge any additional costs to book your car hire.
- Trusted Suppliers - Just look at the list above, and you'll realise why we're one of the most trusted vendors on the globe.
- Immediate booking confirmation.
- Drive-away prices are inclusive. Remember what we said about no hidden fees? That also applies to taxes and levies
- Lowest price guarantee.
- Trust and Experience - We've been doing what we do best - helping people find affordable car hire - for more than 10 years.
How can I get the best deal on Portugal car hire?
Experienced travellers know that the key to getting the best rates is to book early. This way, you avoid unnecessary competition with other tourists. Portugal is an interesting and popular travel destination, especially during the summer months. If you're travelling here during the on-season, it's even more beneficial to book early.
What kind of driving licence is required to hire a car in Portugal?
European Union (EU) residents can drive in Portugal with their own valid licences. If you are from outside of the EU, you will need to obtain an International Driving Permit. These are easy to get through your automobile association if you already have a valid driving licence.
How old must I be to hire a car in Portugal?
You must be 21 years old to legally hire a car in Portugal.
What are the driving safety laws in Portugal?
It is compulsory to wear seatbelts with renting a car in Portugal. Both front- and rear-seat passengers need to be belted up. Additionally, children under the age of 12 must be seated in the rear of the car unless they are taller than 150cm.
Do Portuguese roads require toll payments?
Yes. You can pay these fees at booths when entering or leaving toll roads.
Are there any other driving laws I should be aware of?
You will be required to carry a few items with you in your car. The presence of a reflective warning triangle is mandated, as you will need to place this behind your vehicle in the event of a breakdown. You should also have a reflective safety vest on hand in case of emergency situations.
Car hire payment
When you come to pick up your Portugal rental car, have your credit card information ready. You will need to provide your information before taking the vehicle.
Excess insurance options
You should take out insurance when renting a car in Portugal. You can either purchase a Collision Damage Waiver or add vehicle coverage to your travel insurance package. Often, the latter is the more affordable option.