QUICK escape ideas from Melbourne are in abundance. North, south, west or east, the variety is endless whether you’re wanting, beach, river, mountain ranges and snow fields, or open plains, caves or goldfields, or food and wine. But one that is only an hour and a half away is Spa Country and a little destination called Hepburn where cosmopolitan hamlets can be discovered, spa retreats await and natural charms of mineral springs are as fresh as you’ll find anywhere on the planet.
There are dozens of great reasons to head to this gorgeous part of Victoria, with Hepburn Springs at the top of the list. Here are eight great reasons to set your sights on the Macedon Ranges and Daylesford/Hepburn country.
1. Steeped in history, Hepburn Springs is also steeped in Australia’s largest concentration of mineral springs, known for the health-enhancing minerals. Explore them at old-fashioned pumps and pipes in Hepburn Springs Mineral Springs Reserve.
2. Pack your golf clubs and tackle the challenging fairways and holes at Hepburn Springs Golf Club, where the resident grazing kangaroos observe the silly human beings chasing the little white ball around. A licensed clubhouse is a beauty with stunning views while you unwind with a refreshing drink back at the 19th hole.
3. Cricket Willow is a dream realised by the Tinetti family at Shepherd’s Flat, a fifth generation family who created a facility where you can not only have a hit of cricket in a unique area, but also observe the process of a cricket bat being made from start to finish.
4. Relax and let the professionals treat your body at Acqua Viva Day Spa. Mineral water spa, massages, facials … you name it, they can do it. It’s one of many Day Spa’s and resorts available in the region.
5. You haven’t had a scone until you’ve tried Lavandula Lavender farm’s famous lavendar scones. Spend a few hours exploring and enjoying the farm, check out the animals, see the art gallery, or grab some souvenirs in the gift shop.
6. Everyone remembers the spooky film Picnic At Hanging Rock, scripted by brilliant Australian writer Cliff Green. Hanging Rock is close by, so make sure you mark it down for a visit to check out the dramatic rock formations. We promise you’ll come back out.
7. Looking for a stunning place for a bite to eat? Look no further than the Argus Dining Room which dishes up Modern Australian cuisine “with an emphasis on fresh, clean flavours and regional produce”.
8. Waterfalls don’t get much more charming than Trentham Falls, the state of Victoria’s highest single-drop waterfall. Scenic walking tracks and beautiful spots in the forest for a picnic.