SPRING is in the air and the sun is shining, so what better time to cruise the NSW coastline in your Sydney car rental and catch some aquatic attractions along the way.
Here’s DriveNow’s top five coastal road trip suggestions from Sydney:
1) Jervis Bay, 200km along Princes Hwy/National Route 1 (about a three-hour drive). Spring is one of the best seasons to spot whales in this picturesque bay, where the magnificent creatures rest during their southward migration journey. Dolphin Watch Cruises boasts the best whale watch cruise in Jervis Bay, with multiple tourism awards and five viewing decks.
2) Montague Island near Narooma, 350 kms from Sydney along Princes Hwy/National Route 1 (a five-hour drive). This paradise island has the largest colony of Little Penguins in Australia. Learn about its history and conservation programs with the Eurobodalla’s evening Penguin and Whale Watch Tour – the perfect time to see the furry little creatures returning to their burrows.
3) Nelson Bay, 200 kms from Sydney along F3 Sydney-Newcastle Fwy/National Hwy 1 (a three hour drive). The Bay is a popular destination for dolphin watching, with tours running every day of the year. Sea’scape cruises to popular dolphin watching areas, while also giving travellers the exciting opportunity to travel alongside dolphins in their natural habitat on Sea’scape’s underwater boom net rides!
4) Coffs Harbour, 530kms north of Sydney along National Route 1 (a six-hour drive). The always entertaining Pet Porpoise Pool in Coffs Harbour is home to several dolphins, seals and other marine animals. Be sure to not miss the chance to get up close and personal, and even score a kiss from one of these friendly sea creatures.
5) Byron Bay, 770 kms north of Sydney along New England Hwy (a 10-hour drive). Paddle alongside whales, dolphins and turtles with a Cape Byron Kayaks. With guided tours operating twice daily, adventure out into the wilderness to learn about the area’s history, get close to migrating humpback whales and bottlenose dolphins – all from a kayak.