Here’s some great tips on how to keep the cost of renting a car down to a minimum:
- Book Earlier – Possibly the best tip. The earlier you book generally the cheaper the rental rate you will secure especially around peak times such as Christmas, Easter and School Holidays. Many rental companies have automated pricing systems that raise rates depending upon how close the pick up date is and vehicle availability. With no need to provide credit card details and no cancellation fees you’ve nothing to lose plus you secure the vehicle you’re after. This is particulary important if you’re in the market for a People-Mover (7 seater) around a peak time.
- Compare and you will save – Make use of booking sites such as DriveNow, offering a free service with no booking or cancellation fees you can compare cars and prices from all the major rental companies. Your booking is made directly with the rental company and confirmed to you via email with no payment required until you pick up your car.
- Fill up before you drop off – Make sure your car has a full tank of fuel when you return it to the rental company – some rental providers charge a premium for topping up fuel tanks.
- Insurance – All rental providers have a standard excess fee – this is the amount you are liable for in the event of an accident. This excess amount can be reduced by paying a daily excess reduction fee when picking up your rental car. However many travel insurance policies and some credit cards cover this excess. It’s worthwhile checking.
- Notify the Car rental Supplier – If you need to extend your rental period or change your drop-off location let the rental company know as early as possible. You will incur additional charges however the earlier you contact the rental supplier the lower the charges are likely to be.
The Team at DriveNow