We Compare Car Hire
Car Hire guaranteed with the lowest available rates all in one place and all the time. That's what makes DriveNow the home of the best rental deals in Australia.
DriveNow delivers the widest choice of rental providers and vehicles to guarantee you the lowest and latest prices on car hire.
For over 10 years we've been comparing the cost of car rental and today you can find the best deals in countries including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Ireland, the US and on
UK car hire all under the one web roof.
Rental prices and vehicles are laid out in an easy to read grid allowing you to instantly compare the best deals, daily rates and review vehicle features before you book. Making a booking is quick and easy with instant confirmation and there's no need to enter credit card details when booking, simply present your card when you collect your vehicle.
We guarantee the lowest available price and there are absolutely No Booking fees or hidden costs with DriveNow.
Advantages of booking your Car rental through DriveNow:
- Simple and instant rental rate comparisons
- Access the latest rental deals from Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty and Redspot
- Smart phone friendly - no App required, just launch DriveNow.com.au in your phone's browser to load our dedicated mobile booking service
- Instant booking confirmation
- No credit card details required
- Drive-away prices including all taxes and levies (excludes drivers under 25 surcharge)
- Lowest price guarantee
- Widest choice of rental suppliers in Australia
- Over 1250 Australian locations
- Basic insurance included (Excess Reduction options available on vehicle pickup)
- 100% Australian based, owned and operated
- Australian Reservations team ready at the end of the phone to answer your questions
We understand that it's not just about finding the best online deal available.
Great customer service, being able to talk to someone and exceeding your expectations are all of paramount importance to us. Our Melbourne based reservations team are there to help and answer your questions.
Top Tips when renting a car
- Book Early - No spruiking of services here - the earlier you book the better the rate and wider choice of vehicles. With no cancellation fees or upfront costs there's nothing to lose and no risk. Especially true for Christmas, Easter and other holiday periods.
- Understand your Insurance cover - Talk to your rental company and understand your insurance liabilities and review your contract so you know exactly where you stand should there be an accident or vehicle damage.
- Check your Vehicle - Before leaving the rental branch check your vehicle for any existing damage - take photos with your mobile and have a rental company employee sign off on anything you notice.
- Return a full fuel tank - Ensure you have a full fuel tank when you return the vehicle to avoid being charged very high per litre rates (some rental companies offer a prepaid fuel tank option).
How to save on Car Hire Excess Insurance
Car Hire Insurance options: All rental cars are supplied fully insured, however the hirer, you, will be liable for an initial amount in the event of an accident or damage.
This amount varies between suppliers but can be upwards of $3000. You can reduce your liability to a few hundred dollars or less by directly paying the rental company a daily fee, which generally adds around $30 per day to your rental costs.
A good alternative is to use travel insurance as many plans come with free Car Hire excess cover. Some Credit Card companies also provide this cover. Either of these options work well but check exactly what they do and do not cover. Remember that in the event of an accident you will need to pay the rental company the excess amount as required. You will then need to file a claim with your insurer and for peace of mind and a smooth claim process make sure you have copies of all documentation the accident and photos are another good idea.
Car Hire - Automatic or Manual Transmission?
Unlike some countries, the cost to rent a car in Australia with automatic transmission is generally the same if not cheaper than a manual. In fact the majority of rental cars in Australia are automatic. This makes renting a car that much easier for those who hold driving licenses covering only automatic vehicles.
Car Hire Age Limits
The majority of car rental companies require drivers to be over 25 in order to hire a car. However some do provide for younger drivers in the 21-25 age bracket, the catch being a surcharge fee and restrictions on the type and size of rental cars available (generally smaller vehicles).
As these fees and restrictions vary between rental companies we suggest checking the total price breakdown to determine the costs associated with the younger driver.
Car Hire Carbon Emissions
For those interested in learning more about carbon emissions from rental cars used in Australia, the Australian Government's Green Vehicle guide is great tool. Read more about this Eco-Ratings
One Way Car Hire
Given the size of Australia, it's not surprising that one way car rental is popular. One Way rentals refer to picking up in one car hire location and dropping off at another. There can be additional fees to cover the cost of returning the vehicle to its original hire location.
One tip is to look at hiring and dropping off your car at major airports as sometimes these trips do not incur fees.
Another great way to secure a one way rental deal is Relocations. Both car and campervan rental companies often need to move their vehicles around the country. Rather than pay someone to drive the vehicle, they
rent them out at crazy prices, starting from as low as a $1 a day and in the case of campervans often even throwing money in for fuel!
There are some conditions, mostly around rental days and kilometres, but for flexible travellers this is a fantastic opportunity to get a great rental deal. Check out our One Way Campervan Rental Relocations page for deals on campers, 4 wheel drives and One Way Car Rental.
Car Hire Affiliate program
If you own a travel or accommodation website and are looking to effortlessly earn extra revenue, consider joining our Affiliate Car Hire Program to offer your visitors great deals in car and Campervan rental.